Monday, February 25, 2008

What on Earth Did I Eat for Breakfast?

LL of Idaho wrote a very interesting story on a natural event that took place in his neck of the juniper forest last week. It brought back some fairly vivid memories of my own first encounter with an identical natural event.

October 18, 1984, 9:30 AM, Chadron, Nebraska - We are having our first snow of the season. For once, it is falling straight down instead of sideways. I am sitting on a sofa on the second (top) floor of the Chadron State College library. The sofa is located in the very center of the floor in a large open area, surrounded by many tables (most of which are empty). [I believe] I am reading a required classic novel for "Continental Novel" (yuck!).

At about 9:30 AM, I feel my stomach start to rumble very, very subtly from indigestion. I pay no attention to it until I realize a few seconds later that is not stopping and that it is more "uniform" than my indigestion usually is.

That's odd.

I look down at my stomach in confusion.

While I am looking at it, the rumbling actually seems to spread to the sofa.

Huh?!

I look at the arm of the sofa to see if I can see it moving, even though I am convinced that my indigestion has simply gone to my head and is making me imagine it. [I don't remember if I could see the arm moving or not, but the subtle -- almost non-existent -- vibrations continue to affect me personally.]

I look up at several students (all strangers) who are studying at a table near me. I am about ready to ask them if they feel the vibrations too, even though they appear to be oblivious. Before I can utter a word, the entire building starts shaking somewhat violently (like a trailer house in a sudden 50-mph gust of wind). It all ends a second or three later with a loud, almost violent boom or thud.

We all look at one another in surprise. I theorize out loud that the library's furnace may have exploded. I also cannot resist telling them with a smile that I had been feeling the vibrations for some time prior to the final jolt and that I thought it was just my stomach rumbling from indigestion. They ignore me.

I cannot remember how long it was before I learned that it was an earthquake and not a furnace explosion, but it was probably not very long. I definitely knew it by the time I departed for my American Frontier History class at 10:45 AM.

The USGS web site gives the following specific details on the earthquake I experienced:

WYOMING, 5.5 [Richter Scale] (GS). Slight damage (VI) at Douglas, Medicine Bow, Casper, Shirley Basin, McFadden, Rock River and Guernsey. Some damage was reported at a condominium complex in Golden, Colorado. Felt throughout much of Wyoming and northern Colorado. Also felt in western Nebraska, parts of South Dakota and Montana, and by some people in high-rise buildings in Omaha, Nebraska and Salt Lake City, Utah.


I wonder if this is the same earthquake that LL experienced in the early 1980s.