Saturday, December 18, 2004

Eight Hundred Eighty-Five Years Ago

I'm cheating a little with this entry. While trying to replenish my own writing reserves (in other words, my mind is a blank right now), I am sending you a quote that has been on my all-time favorites list for many years. I think it describes many of us online diarists perfectly.

"What cannot letters inspire? They have souls; they can speak; they have in them all that force which expresses the transports of the heart; they have all the fire of our passions. They can raise them as much as if the persons themselves were present. They have all the tenderness and the delicacy of speech, and sometimes even a boldness of expression beyond it. Letters were first invented for consoling such solitary wretches as myself! ...Having lost the substantial pleasures of seeing you and possessing you, I shall in some measure compensate this loss by the satisfaction I shall find in your writing. There I shall read your most sacred thoughts." — (From a letter written in the year 1119, by Heloise to Peter Abelard)