Friday, January 25, 2008

An Impressive Coincidence for Such a Small Town

The Main Story I stopped watching those ridiculous beauty pageants many years ago, but few, if any, other towns in the United States can make this claim (please ignore the very poorly written title after you click the link). What's more, the town that can now make this claim (population about 14,800) is just a few blocks north of my house.

OK, enough of the main story:

Self-Centered, Unrelated Footnote
If I was completely proud of the following, I wouldn't feel the need to explain things first.

The web site at the above link is a "canned" site, just like Blogger. You choose from a list of so-so and/or ugly templates and then begin posting stories. Unlike Blogger, this canned site costs money and caters only to educational institutions. Also unlike Blogger, each subscribing institution is responsible for customizing the structure of its site (i.e. navigation scheme, tabs, sub-tabs, buttons, etc.). Last year, the institution at the above link subscribed to that "canned" site and chose their favorite template. Then they hired me to customize the structure. I was also responsible for transferring massive amounts of information from their old server to their new server. In short, I created most of the main tabs (the ones that look like a fungal growth at the top of the page, thanks to the poor tastes of the administrators), the extremely nondescript sub-tabs on the left side of the page, and the somewhat garish (no-choice) buttons on the right side. I tried to keep the "fungal" tabs to a less unsightly and more practical minimum, but some know-it-all added an entire extra row after I left.

It took me three weeks to set it up as logically as that limited and imperfect template would allow (it would have taken me twice as long if I had had to use one of their Windows computers instead of my own PowerBook G4, and that's NOT simply because I am more familiar with a Mac). In some ways, organizing that structure was not unlike straightening out a Rubik's Cube.

Those of you who know my last name may type it into the Search box in the upper-right corner of the page, and you will get one hit.

P.S. I found the story at the above link via Google. If it had not been a local site, and if it had not had the briefest and most to-the-point story, I would not have used it, and, therefore, I would not have thought to include this self-centered footnote.

P.P.S. I've posted two entries in two days. Be sure not to miss the previous entry.