Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Do "Health Magnets" Really Work?

Yesterday, Trinamick wrote about taking a trip to the Comstock music festival in central Nebraska. While she was there, she met a health-magnet peddler. In spite of her doubts and skepticism, she ended up buying one. The following story is for her and anyone else who may or may not be considering buying health magnets.

My mom broke her ankle when she was a little girl. Her father didn't believe it was broken, so she was forced to walk on it for about two weeks before they finally went to see a doctor (she said she could feel the bone pulling apart and coming together with each step). By then it had started to heal very crookedly. The doctor wanted to re-break and reset it, but her father refused that too, thinking they couldn't afford it. My mom foolishly did nothing to fix the problem when she reached adulthood; so that ankle started giving her a lot of trouble when she reached her 50s. It was very painful. When she reached her 60s, it finally got to the point where it would actually lock up on her for two or three days at a time and cause her no end of pain. She could only walk with crutches. She told me that these lockups happened about once or twice a month. The doctors told her there was nothing they could do at this point in her life, except fuse the ankle, thus permanently locking her ankle in one position. She wasn't in the mood to allow them to do that to her.

Last year I borrowed an expensive magnet kit from one of my cousins (who used to sell them) to let my mom try one out on her ankle. I figured we would soon find out if there was any truth to the claims about magnets or not. I really wanted to believe in them, but I was skeptical. When I showed them to my mom, she was not only skeptical, she was adamant that they were nothing more than a cheap gimmick. She has never had much of an open mind.

One day soon thereafter, her ankle locked up again, solid as a rock, while I was talking to her. She was very unhappy that she was going to be out of commission for at least two days. I told her she had nothing to lose by at least wearing a magnet to see if it would decrease the pain somewhat. If it helped her a little, good. If not, then at least we could both put them out of our minds forevermore. She argued with me for a minute or two (pain can make a person somewhat disagreeable), but then, very reluctantly, she put one on, just to keep me quiet (since I had gone to the trouble to borrow them for her).

Less than five minutes later, she came back and said, "It's working."

I asked, in a somewhat shocked voice, "You mean you can really feel something happening? and so soon?"

She replied, "No, I mean my ankle is totally back to normal. I can walk without crutches again, and there isn't an ounce of pain."

Neither one of us had expected such dramatic results -- and certainly not in less than five minutes.

Needless to say, she has worn a magnet on her ankle religiously since that day. She has never again had an ankle lock up and no longer suffers the daily pain that she had endured for years. Quite some time ago, she even switched to a cheap ($10) wrap-around magnet (probably similar to the one Trinamick bought at Comstock), and it has worked just as well as the expensive model.